Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Synonyms

Definition:
A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word

Examples

  • "Words are seldom exactly synonymous; a new term was not introduced, but because the former was thought inadequate."

  • "Relax? I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or . . . Only two synonyms? Oh my! I'm losing my perspicacity!"
  • "The search for synonyms is a well-established classroom exercise, but it as well to remember that lexemes rarely (if ever) have exactly the same meaning. There are usually stylistic, regional, emotional, or other differences to consider . . .. Two lexemes might be synonymous in one sentence but different in another: range and selection are synonyms in What a nice - of furnishings, but not in There's the mountain -."

No comments:

Post a Comment